Fredericksburg, VA – On Monday, Virginia Youth Soccer Association (VYSA) announced their 2020 annual awards recipients. Blue Ridge United’s Recreation Administrator, Susan Simpson was selected as 2020 Administrator of the Year. Susan has served the local soccer community for 25+ years in her role at Blue Ridge United. Coaches, players, volunteers, referees, and board members have cycled through over her tenure; however, Susan has remained the constant, ensuring a steady and smooth transition from season-to-season and year-to-year. It is nearly impossible to articulate the entirety of the contributions Susan has made to the club. She has always been eager to accept new projects that lead to the success of the club. Her various tasks over the years have included:
- For nearly 20 years, Susan’s front porch was the club “drop-off” and “pick-up” location
- Answered all inbound phone calls and emails
- Generated and distributed coach’s packets
- Assembled and distributed uniforms
- Scheduled, attended, and prepared the minutes for the monthly board meetings
- Assisted with recruiting recreational coaches and placing them with teams
- Received all club mail and distributed it accordingly
- Managed new coach and reoccurring background checks
- Coordinated and communicated with both Winchester P&R and Frederick County P&R
- Planned and coordinated the annual recreational meeting
Susan’s dedication to the success of the club is rooted in her belief that every child should be provided the opportunity to play. This is one of our core values and she exemplifies that in her everyday dealings with our players and parents. She has consistently recommended assistance for players, taken the lead to find volunteer coaches, and with the help of her children, organized “Soccer without borders” donations.
Susan has been the heartbeat of Blue Ridge United for decades. She has deserved this recognition for several years and we are proud to call her one of our own!